Posted on 29 October 2018

1) Reduction of soil entering the building 

One of the most critical aspects of maintaining your carpet is the use of entrance mats. Entrance mats greatly reduce the amount of soil carried into a building by foot traffic. 

Outside mats scrape debris off of shoes that have the capability to track in that material. Use soil-removal mats that have a coarse texture, are able to brush soil from shoes, and hold large amounts of soil in their pile.

Inside mats remove smaller particles of dirt as well as oils and other liquids that can be tracked in from outside. Use water absorbent mats to prevent tracked-in moisture from getting to the carpet. 

2) Removal of dry soil

Vacuuming is a significant element in the maintenance of carpet to remove dry soil build up. Research has shown that 85% of the soil tracked into a building is dry, and the other 15% is oily. Please see chart below for recommended vacuuming.

3) Removal of spots and spills 

All maintenance procedures mentioned so far have been planned; spot and stain removal is the reaction to an unplanned incident. See our Carpet Stain Removal page for more information on emergency spillages.

4) Periodic professional cleaning 

Professional cleaning is necessary to remove dry soil that the vacuum cannot remove as well as the 15% of soil which is the oily type material. In order to maintain appearance the carpet must be cleaned on a periodic basis to prevent the carpet from becoming prematurely worn. 

Recommended carpet cleaning intervals: 

 Soiling level

 Routine cleaning

 Professional   cleaning

 Spot removal

 Vacuum traffic   areas

 Full vacuum

 Light

 Daily

 Daily

 Weekly

 18-24 months

 Medium

 Daily

 Daily

 Every 2-3 days

 12-18 months

 Heavy

 Daily

 Daily

 Daily

 6-12 months

 Very Heavy

 Daily

 Daily

 Daily

 3-6 months